Enlightening.biz is a great way for us to share our thoughts on how we can improve the way the world does business. Leave me a comment or two! Let's move past dialogue to 'the and factor' where we find a better way.

Friday, November 26, 2010

the Leadership Imperative

I'm wondering whether you have had a slack time in your business or team - where you've really been pushed to improve the outcomes and you just can't figure out what to do next.
I have.  Hate to confess it, but I guess I'm human.  The last year or so has been really tough for me at times - figuring out how best to help people on a tight budget with their people problems or new business strategies.  And figuring out how best to position my own business so I can be easily found to help them!  Which way to go?  When?  How?  How much to invest in it?
I found myself looking at sales strategies, staffing, branding, marketing, social media.  I got some fabulous help from a business coach.  Here's what I found.
The answer is always leadership.  The questions were  'Where are  you heading?  What are you trying to accomplish?  Why?  Is that still valid?  Does everyone understand it and do you have universal buy-in?  Leadership's about the horizon.  Only when the vision and purpose are clear does the bottom line become meaningful.  Sounds like text-book jargon, I know - but it actually works in real life.  I'm proof of it.  Once I know where I'm going and why, then I can take others with me to make it happen, and manage the bottom-line to make sure the results are worthwhile and in alignment.  Without that clear sense of purpose and direction, I'm running round in circles.
I've been there and done that, have you?  Was it costly? 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for providing this awesome list it worked for me.

business coaching brisbane