Enlightening.biz is a great way for us to share our thoughts on how we can improve the way the world does business. Leave me a comment or two! Let's move past dialogue to 'the and factor' where we find a better way.

Monday, March 22, 2010

When will some marketers wake up??!!!!

Last weekend, I had the great pleasure of attending Dale Beaumont's Cash Injection conference - I'm a big fan of Dale's - I'm included in his 'Secrets of Inspiring Leaders Exposed', so there could be a bit of vanity there.  It was brilliant.  Great speakers, with highly valuable information, very professionally presented.  Essential and creative business strategies were discussed, including financial innovation, systems and business management, internet and traditional marketing etc.  My only concern was when one presenter - otherwise fabulous - referred to his customers as cows to be milked.  Now, I don't know about you, but I don't want my suppliers to think of me as a cow!  I'm not that unpopular, I don't think.  They like my money.  So why be so disrespectful?  
My mentor John Nevin once said "If you're not feeling respected by your customers, check how much respect you show to them". 
The reference related to gaining more business from an established relationship. But that's different - and should be based on looking for extra ways to be of service.  A positive supportive intention.  Not the 'squeeze it out of them' game that was suggested.  That can only lead to suspicion, cynicism and resentment by the customer - leading to the lying games that some people think they have to play.
Let's get business up and in the open.  Fair, decent, service-based, openly looking for more business without embarrassment, but knowing it has to be earned.  
What do you think?

No comments: